The B.R.E.A.D. organization is comprised of many different congregations, who in turn represent many different traditions. Each of our congregations believes something different – about the nature of God and the name of God. But each of us shares a commitment to pursue justice guided by our faith – to finding, in the things that we share, the strength that unity can bring. As we begin our gathering in prayer, we invite a member of B.R.E.A.D. to offer words of prayer from the stream of their own faith tradition – recognizing that this may be different from our own tradition. We vow to respect each other – for the things we share, and for the ways that we are different.
B.R.E.A.D. uses a four-step process to bring to surface and win issues of justice:
1) We listen to our members in one-on-one meetings and "house meetings" in order to surface community problems for research and action. The listening process also serves to invite more people to become a part of the justice ministry/Rodef Tzedek (pursuers of justice) networks within congregations.
2) We research the problems to identify workable solutions.
3) We gather a large number of people, in order to show our supportive power and attract the attention of the decision-makers who can implement the solutions we are requesting.
4) We follow-up on the public commitments made by the decision-makers in order to ensure that there is action to address the problem by implementing the requested solutions.
How do you become involved with B.R.E.A.D.?
People can become involved in B.R.E.A.D.’s work on many levels. Contact a leader of the justice ministry/Rodef Tzedek Network in your congregation to get involved. You may also call the B.R.E.A.D. office at (614) 220-9363 or email us at email@example.com to get your congregation involved.
The base level of the justice work in B.R.E.A.D. is to:
- bring three people with you to the Nehemiah Action
- attend three other community wide meetings to build momentum for the Nehemiah Action
- the Rally
- the Celebration
- the Annual Assembly
See the calendar for dates of key upcoming meetings.